Hi everyone! My name is Kayla and I blog over at Caught Between the Pages! I talk all about books and writing on my blog, so today I wanted to share with you my top five fantasy characters!
5. Jesse from The Mediator series by Meg Cabot. This is an oldie but one I think more people need to know about, read, and appreciate. What’s better than a hot, Spanish-speaking, old-fashioned ghost? This is one ghost story with a spunky heroine (who’s pretty human, so I decided she didn’t count for the list) and a heart of gold. Or.. It would be, if he was still alive.
4. Alina from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Oh, yeah, this trilogy was SO good, I recommend it to everyone! And the character development in it is great, as Alina goes from timid and weak to… Well, you’ll see for yourself. I love how she’s always supportive of her friends, even if they don’t turn out to be who she expected them to be. She’s also much stronger than she looks and uses that underestimation to her best advantage. I love how she isn’t the typical heroine and she’s made it to becoming one of my favorite characters, forever.
3. Cinder from Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I’m a sucker for any retold fairy tale and this cyborg version of Cinderella is smart, sassy, and ready to save the world. I love these books because I can’t predict anything about them– I love Cinder because I can’t quite figure her out, either. She’s a great fighter and is super inventive but she also has so many problems she needs to face that it’s difficult to tell what exactly she’ll end up doing next.
2. Percy Jackson from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordian. Of course my favorite demigod had to make the list! I practically grew up with Percy, even though I didn’t discover the Olympians series until I was a little older. The great thing about these books is that any age can read and love them. Percy has such a weird sense of humor that I absolutely love. He’s also loyal to his friends, wants to make the world a better place, and tends to outwit villains rather than fight with only his strength, which makes for a very entertaining read.
1. Akiva from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor. Okay, honestly this is my favorite book (even though I haven’t had a chance to read the third one yet!) so I had to limit myself to only picking one, or else there was a chance that every character on this list would be from the series. I just love Laini Taylor’s writing style–and of course her characters, too. I love how complex yet completely lovable Akiva is. Plus, he’s an angel, and it’s not often that I find angelic characters in YA fantasy to be well done and badass. I have so much love for him (and everyone else in the books!) I can’t recommend them enough!
Hope you enjoy my recommendations!